Monday 7 October 2019

5th Oct – Return to Kyle, 6th Oct - LNER HST farewell & 4th Oct - Southern Hunting


5th October – The Return to Kyle Of Lochalsh

Like I mentioned in the previous blog post, the challenge to revisit the stations I had only previously boarded at or I had only previously alighted at was near the end, along the way two stations have dropped by the wayside, Manchester Utd FC Halt which hasn’t been served since November 2017 so is mothballed in my eyes and Dolgarrog which got seriously damaged in the flooding at the start of the year and is currently a replacement bus service.  Clearly if Dolgarrog ever gets rebuilt I will be heading in that direction to alight from a train at (as previously I caught a service bus there to board), and in the very unlikely event Man Utd FC Halt gets served I will try and work out a plan to board there.

For the meanwhile, I was down to the final 2 stations, the end was in sight, I was both happy and sad, and it would be mission accomplished.  I have no idea how many other people would have done what I was about to do.  But time to move from feelings onto the trains, it wasn’t the best of nights on the sleeper as the coach was boiling hot when I boarded at Euston, but the heating failed soon after departure and other than a brief bit of warmth around Crewe it was freezing within a busy seated coach.  90041 did the hauling to Edinburgh with 67004 carrying on for the diesel leg, lost some time around Kingussie but it gained it back as the Kings Cross HST waited for us to pass around Tomatin, arrival into Inverness was a minute or so early giving me around 17 minutes to make a quick dash to the Co-Op for supplies.

Probably the last time I will be having a 67 into Inverness


Back at Inverness I took an unreserved seat on 158720 (removing my reservation from a busy table) for the run towards Plockton, the Kyle line is one of my favourite lines for looking out of the window off, such beauty, one of the lines I would recommend anybody to do.  I alighted along with around two dozen other passengers at Plockton, and after a couple pictures of the station I took up a seat on the bench (not somewhere you want to visit in the rain as there is no seating underneath the canopy), and waited for 158720 to return to board at my last station

Boarding at all the stations in GB, Tick


In my original plan for this trip in June, I was going to head to Kyle first, and then Duncraig before Plockton, as there is short time between these two stations so it would be a rush to locate the guard to make my request.  The guard was at the front when 158720 rolled in so the first time I did was make my request, it was front door only at this little used station due to a tiny platform, but as I stepped from the 158, a large smile appeared on my face, it was done. Scotland completed for all the stations boarding & alighting and for the time being all currently rail served national rail stations in Great Britain done.  And frankly I couldn’t have picked a better location in which to end the quest, all it be unplanned.  A lot better than my original end station of Snaith.

Alighting at all the stations in GB, Tick


After walking onto the little bridge for a picture of the platform and the beautiful waiting shelter, I returned into said waiting shelter for it had began to rain.  I was joined on the platform by someone else for when 158721 rolled in, flagging it down and waiting a couple minutes for the guard to open the centre doors (probably shocked he had customers!), I finished with the run to the end of the line at Kyle Of Lochalsh, for a quick picture in the strong wind before heading back on board, sitting on the opposite side in which I arrived for the beautiful run back towards Inverness.

I decided to alight at Conon Bridge as one of my regrets in doing the original challenge & the revised challenge was the lack of pictures I took at the start of the challenge, some areas are better than others.  Maybe one of these days I will attempt to sort through my pictures, making a list of stations I need to revisit for pictures.  A brief 20 minute fester at the station with a tiny platform before 158705 rolled in to take me a couple stops down the line to Beauly, another station where I needed a picture, and another brief wait for 158713 to arrive from Wick.  It was back to Inverness, the end of the day for playing with trains.

I checked into the same hostel I’ve used in the past couple visits, one near the bus station, and spent half an hour in the lounge relaxing before getting a celebratory pizza (eating said pizza in the concourse of the station as that was the best place I could think of eating as it was horrid wet weather).

The Last One!


6th October – A personal farewell to the HSTs on LNER

As this would be the last time I would have a long distance trip on a LNER HST, it was fitting for it to be my personal farewell.  Yes HSTs will still be around in Scotland, and on XC (plus on East Midlands for the time being), but this would probably be my last long distance trip on a full sized set.  And it doesn’t get any longer than the 10 hours on the Highland Chieftain on a Sunday (it takes longer due to calling at pretty much every station towards Stirling).  I was lucky to bag myself a cheap advance ticket when they eventually went on sale and decided to upgrade myself to first class (as £35 for the distance/time is a bargain).

After checking out of the hostel and a little supply raid from the Co-Op, I headed towards the station where on platform 1 sat 43277 leading 43208, sadly as it was on platform 1 I couldn’t get a decent picture of the leading powercar so had to make do with a picture of the rear power car (which when I put it on Twitter kinda exploded, last check it had 190 likes, rivalling my picture of the “what train is mine?” poster at Stapleton Road for most likes.  Platform 2 had 2 “mini” HSTs on, a classic set and a refurbished set, the future is safe for the time being.

"Do you remember the good times when you reached 125 mph?"


When the doors were unlocked, I removed my seat reservation from a busy coach F, and took a seat in first class, sadly my first pick of a table for 2 were unavailable, and I didn’t fancy sitting backwards on a single seat so I had to pick a table for 4, for the trip towards Perth.  I’ve done the Highland Main Line in January 18 when it was covered in snow so I know how beautiful it is in places, the bleak wilderness of the Pass of Drumochter reminds me a bit of Rannoch moor.  The HST kept good time, maybe a minute or so late due to large loadings at Aviemore, and soon Perth was reached for a race towards the wires at Dunblane and onwards to Stirling where a bit more time was lost due to an extended dwell time.

This late running meant the HST got delayed some more around Polmont for an Express time from Glasgow so arrival into Edinburgh was around 10 minutes late for the usual changing over of passengers and crew.  Departure was around 5 minutes late (racing alongside a 385 for North Berwick), but something was wrong as it didn’t feel as strong to accelerate as before, even after being checked for an Edinburgh bound service at Dunbar (the new platform seems to be coming along well), kept losing time until Berwick and afterwards, it was announced that due to a fault in one of the powercars the train would terminate at Newcastle with passengers changing onto another service.  So my HST farewell ended in Newcastle, with a cross platform onto a Mk4 set with DVT 82215 leading and 91113 on the rear.

An unexpected 91 farewell trip, first class was busier, but I managed to get a seat, changing seats at York as the recliner was broken, it was busy in first class after York (no spare seats), I dread to think how busy it would be in standard class, for it was two trains in one (the 13:19 Edinburgh – Kings Cross got cancelled at Newcastle for the stock to be used).  Annoyingly the 91 managed to claw back some of the time to arrive into London 26 minutes late, not late enough for money back, but late enough for me to ditch my original planned move to Clapham Junction via Clapham High Street.

It was onwards to Waterloo, with 11039/11040 taken to Oxford Circus, with 3232/3544 for the leg to Waterloo, where I headed to the first available train to Woking which was a Weymouth bound 444022 & 444003 departing from platform 20.  At Woking I exited the station to await a rail replacement bus, due to the entire Basingstoke area being closed for engineering works today it would be a bus to Andover, I turned down the first coach as it was a stopper, awaiting for the ‘fast’ service.

In all fairness when I saw a Hounslow registered coach roll round I had it down as being the replacement bus towards Hounslow, but it was the Andover fast bus, CX07 NNF.  I have no idea which was the bus went but it joined the M25 for a short section before joining the M3 for a fast run towards Basingstoke, for a drop off (and picking up of one passenger) before returning to the M3 to head towards Andover on the A303.  The engine was quite noisy at speed, but the coach arrived into Andover a bit late, so it was a quick dash for passengers heading towards Yeovil, but for me it was a walk to the car because of the rubbish Sunday service at Grateley, 2 hourly with the services which skip it staying at Salisbury for an extra 3 minutes for a clockface departure west.  So it was a case of driving home, before relaxing.

What started with an Intercity 125 farewell...

...Ended with an Intercity 225 Farewell!


-----------

4th October – The Road to Euston

I decided to hunt down my last few Southern units for mileage, but decided to only ask for the 455s, the 377/1 & couple 2s I needed (not the trio of 3s), I got given the information which services they were on so I formed a fluid plan in order to intercept them for the required mileages.  I drove to Andover in the rain, parked in my usual spot and headed to the station buying my tickets for the day, before joining 159013 & 159006 on the 14:06 service for the short trip to Basingstoke, where I remained on the same platform to board 444026 & 444009 for the non-stop run to Clapham Junction.  It was non-stop until just before Clapham where the train lost a few minutes, rolling into platform 7 alongside the diesels which were slowly rolling through platform 8 waiting for the next signal to clear.  For me it was a fast walk over to platform 14 for 455818 & 455815 to take me to Victoria, where I remained on board for the trip to Streatham Common, one down.

A short fester at Streatham Common before 455809 & 455835 rolled in from London Bridge, the run to East Croydon was just enough to clear 5835 for ten miles as I had a tight connection to another London Bridge bound service (via Norwood Junction), the connection was made onto 455829 & 455812 to take me to Honor Oak Park, noticing a slight lack of 378s.  A few minutes at Honor Oak Park before a Sutton bound 455846 rolled in with 455811 on the rear, this is the 455 I turned down last Sunday and it needed a good run as it was only previously on a Battersea Park leap, and after Sutton it would run ECS back towards Norwood Junction via the depot so good to get it out of the way before having to give chase.  Semi-fast after West Croydon and the train emptied out by Penge.

The 2nd last 455 for ten miles


With the 455s cleared (which means no more having to try and ID them, as some of those numbers are hard to read at speed due to the cables), the next move was towards Clapham Junction with 377102 & 377107 taken via Mitcham.  As I headed towards platform 1 I noticed some of the signage had been replaced in Network Rail colours, before I boarded a busy 378203  to take me to Shepherd’s Bush to intercept an East Croydon bound service.  I only noticed the footbridge at the northern end of the station after the crowding to exit and cross over to the opposite platform.

A short fester before 377214 & 377209 rolled in, 377214 only previously had on a Thameslink core leap so needed a good run, Selhurst would have been enough but I stayed on to East Croydon as it gave more options.  I managed to get a seat (all be it in the 3+2 coach) for the run as the train got very busy after West Brompton.  The first Thameslink wasn’t needed and a failed attempt to get food from Sainsburys outside the station, before returning, the 2nd service was also not-required, but the 3rd was low mileage 700144 which I took to London Bridge.  For lack of a better idea I jumped onto a pair of low mileage 376s (which I’ve now decided to aim for ten miles on) with 376002 & 376017 taken to Charing Cross, returning to London Bridge on 466004, 465190 & 465152, every little helps pushing the 465 onto 9 miles.

I grabbed dinner from Boots before joining 700152 for the run to St Pancras and a gentle walk across to Euston where I joined the queue to check into the sleeper for my trip to Inverness (see the start).  Overall a successful few hours, although I was glad to be on that 700 which was fast after a few trips on stopping services.

No comments:

Post a Comment