Thursday 20 August 2020

1st August – Two Tunnels Greenway & Bristol Area

1st August – Two Tunnels Greenway & Bristol Area


For my 1st trip of August, I decided to head towards Bristol, but swinging via Midford to walk the Two Tunnels Greenway, a footpath/cycleway built on the former track bed of the Somerset & Dorset branch towards Bath.  Looking at the map it was a linear walk from Freshford station, over a hill to reach Midford village itself to join the path at the Midford viaduct.

 

The day began with a drive to Salisbury, parking up and heading to board the train towards Cardiff formed of 166213 for the run to Bradford on Avon (which was required for a photograph), 30 minutes later 166203 arrived on the stopper to take me to Freshford where I made sure to visit the toilet on the short journey.  Thankfully the weather was a bit overcast to cool it down after the heat of the previous couple days as I made my way towards Midford via the village centre (and a footpath) to reach a Byway from Pipehouse Lane which comes down near Midford Mill (avoids walking along the little country lanes).  Another footpath took me underneath Midford viaduct (although sadly the viaduct is within trees so no ability for a nice photograph). 

 

Midford Mill

 

I joined the path across the viaduct, stopping along the way for some photos, especially with the former station at Midford and the Tucking Mill viaduct a bit further along the path.  The highlight for me was walking through the mile long Combe Down tunnel and the shorter Devonshire tunnel, but an enjoyable walk, even with some cyclists attempting to break the land speed record.  The path got busier as it reached Bath (and litter levels increased) as I carried along the path crossing the railway line and to where it comes to an end near the junction at the A36.  I carried on back to visit Oldfield Park station to catch a busy 166203 towards Bath Spa.

 

Oldfield Park

 

A short wait at Bath before 166219 arrived to take me to Keynsham where I visited a nearby Tesco before catching 166201 back to Bath Spa, with the return of 166203 taken to Bristol Temple Meads, changing onto a XC HST formed of 43207 leading 43301 for the gentle trip to Bristol Parkway where I exited the station (noting the barriers were wide open at both Temple Meads & Parkway).  I walked from Stoke Gifford towards Little Stoke, via a housing estate which gives access to the “Forty Acres” nature reserve, which is a different way to walking to Patchway station which limits use of the roads.

 

At Patchway it was a short wait before 800021 arrived from Cardiff to take me to Bristol Temple Meads, where it was time to switch to the Severn Beach line, with 165129 taken to Shirehampton for a short wait for the same unit to return from Avonmouth to take me to Sea Mills which is a lovely station next to the River Avon where a smaller river comes in, some excellent views of the river.  However my time was short before 166220 arrived to take me to Avonmouth itself where I had a short walk to a nearby Co-Op before returning to the station for 165129 to take me to St Andrew’s Road.  I had a photograph of this station from my previous visit in 2015 time, but wanted some more of the industrial landscape.

 

St Andrews Road

 

165129 soon returned from Severn Beach to take me to Stapleton Road (needed the southbound platform) and for my 3rd walk of the day via the streets of Bristol to reach the Bristol to Bath path (which is on my list to do at some point) to walk towards Bristol Temple Meads, catching 166217 for the long run back to Salisbury, lucky enough the former first class area was available for passengers to use.  Once again the barriers at Temple Meads were wide open (just think of all that lost revenue from stations with no TVMs).  Back at Salisbury for a nice drive home, the end of a productive day, mixing walking with some station revisiting.

 

More pictures are on my Flickr account.  I would recommend walking the Two Tunnels Greenway for some interesting sights and the novelty of walking through those two long tunnels.

 

Inside Combe Down Tunnel

No comments:

Post a Comment