Thursday 29 April 2021

24th April - Rodwell Trail, Weymouth & Chetnole

24th April – Rodwell Trail, Weymouth & A revisit to Chetnole.

 

I needed to revisit a couple stations in the Dorset area, and with good weather forecasted looked up ideas, noticing the Rodwell Trail in Weymouth, which runs along part of the former Weymouth & Portland railway line, which would allow me to visit an area I’ve never really been to before.

 

The day began with the 07:59 service to Basingstoke, changing over to a pair of 444s for the trip towards Dorset, quite busy at the start in coach 4 (of 10) but it emptied out along the way, getting busy again at Bournemouth when 10 becomes 5 before again emptying out (a lot off at Poole & Wareham).  I alighted from the 444 at Upwey for a short 5 minute wait before a busy 166 rolled in from Westbury to take me the final couple miles into Weymouth itself.

 

A 166 approaching Upwey

 

My walk began at the station as I headed in the general direction where the Rodwell trail started, near a church, but having to do a small loop over Radipole lake as the road bridge has no pavement, went via the top of the harbour before joining the busy trail passing the remains of Westham Halt before following the former railway line, through a short tunnel before reading the platforms at the former Rodwell station, before carrying on before reaching the coast with some beautiful views from high up on the old railway line.

 

Platforms at the old Rodwell station

 

 

The long distance South West Coastal path joins up with the trail for a short section of walking alongside the sea before entering a cutting coming out near the Isle of Portland, which is where the path came to an end as the old bridges across the water have gone.  I headed towards the “Ferry Bridge” which links the island to the mainland, before heading back towards Weymouth.  I came off the former trackbed at a footpath which went down towards the sea before heading alongside a sailing club before joining a road.  I headed along this road swinging via a small beach and the remains of Sandsfoot Castle and Castle Cove.

 

Sandsfoot Castle

 

A footpath I was hoping to follow seems to no longer exist (near the Western ledges) so it was a case of following the roads to reach the water again near Newton’s Cove (with good views from high up the cliff of one of the breakwaters protecting Portland Harbour).  The water was a bit rough around here due to the wind (for it was a bit strong).  I swung by the Nothe Fort (built in the Victorian times) before heading to the South/Stone pier, ending up on a little tower for some photos.  Heading back towards land, I got a bit wet from a strong wave hitting the breakwater (protection for Weymouth harbour)

 

Waves at Newtons Cove, Weymouth

 

Tourist bits completed, I headed back towards the town centre, alongside the harbour side, and over a road bridge, swinging via Tesco for some lunch before heading back towards the station, wasting some time by walking along the beach before catching the 14:20 service to Dorchester South and having a gentle walk across Dorchester to reach Dorchester West (Dorchester is on my list to revisit for a good walk around, especially towards Maiden Castle & the Maumbury Rings.

 

Back to the trains, I caught a busy 166 from Dorchester West, making my request as the least used station in Dorset (unless it’s changed), Chetnole.  Due to a short platform it was local door only, and I was the only passenger alighting (although had there been more I would have been shocked).  I had roughly an hour to kill so I went for a little walk along some footpaths, crossing over the railway and climbing up a hill to the south of the station, coming to an end where I could get some photos of the countryside, before heading back towards the village and swinging via a long deep ford of a river, before heading back to the station to relax.  Chetnole is certainly a nice area to spend some time in, and going for a walk is better than just sitting at the station like I used to do (reading a magazine or something).

 

Countryside in the Chetnole area

 

A 165 arrived (I wouldn’t have liked to see how busy the 17:30 return from Weymouth would have been!) which took me back to Dorchester West for a shorter walk to Dorchester South, boarding a fast service from Weymouth which took me to Winchester (only really got busy at Southampton, and I was surprised when I boarded the front coach and there was only one other passenger in that coach).  At Winchester I had a short wait before a triple 450 rolled in from Portsmouth for the leap to Basingstoke, grabbing a KFC before a pair of sprinters took me back to Grateley (and a much needed shower, for it was hot in the sunshine!)

No comments:

Post a Comment