Tuesday 24 September 2024

13th & 14th September Trips

 13th & 14th September Trips

A day of enforced annual leave from training (I believe due to a monthly meeting) meant I had a Friday to come up with ideas, with booking a Railtour earlier in the week as a late notice booking considering accommodation costs weren’t as high as expected.

13th September – London & Stort Navigation

The day began with the 07:27 service from Grateley with 159006, 159017 & 159101 taken all the way to Waterloo, I can definitely tell that Friday commuting has fallen through the floor considering I had a private table seat all the way.  Anyhow at Waterloo after swinging via Sainsburys for some breakfast I headed towards platform 23 to board winner 701036 on a Windsor service.  This took me to Twickenham where I managed a zero-minute connection across the platform to board 450102 & 450067 on a London service from Windsor.  After a quick play on RTT I decided to alight at Putney for another cross-platform change, this time onto 458416 & 458427 with both 458s being needed for renumbering.  I had a rough idea to take these to Chiswick for a 10-minute connection for another pair of 458s back from Weybridge, stepping back at Barnes (or most likely Clapham to avoid the hassle of changing platforms) for a 3rd set I saw which were out.

This is where things went wrong, as I didn’t notice before leaving Barnes that due to signalling issues at Feltham junction services from Weybridge were being diverted via Richmond rather than via the loop.  So, my 10-minute connection turned into a 25-minute connection for 450100 & 450101 to roll in on the last of the morning’s Hounslow loop services (I do wonder if this line will ever regain 4tph like it had pre Covid once all the 701s are in service).  On the bright side the delay allowed me to spot 701028 on a driver training service.

701028 at Chiswick

Anyhow back to the 450s, these took me to Vauxhall where I swapped to the Victoria line jumping onto 11040 & 11039 on the first available service for the long journey to Tottenham Hale, transferring to the Greater Anglia platforms turning down a pair of 720s on a Stansted service as winner 720118 was on the Cambridge service following (along with 720105).  I took these 720s to Harlow Town where my walk began leaving the station doing a loop to join the River Stort navigation, walking along the towpath via Terlings Park with a couple swaps along the way as it hugged the northern edge of Harlow.  The ruralness changed to more industrial as it neared the industry near Harlow Mill before returning to nature with the towpath being quite changeable in surface quality.  The next section roughly follows the route of the railway (giving a soundtrack of 720s & 745s) before reaching Sawbridgeworth.

After some moorings the navigation turned very rural beyond the railway bridge with the soundtrack of trains gaining the soundtrack of planes coming into land at Stansted.  Other than that, it was very peaceful weaving along towards Bishop's Stortford where it changed character from rural countryside to urban landscape.  I took the towpath to the limit of Navigation, the road bridge on the A1250 and I set off looking for Sainsburys which I saw on the map.  I saw the car park entrance but I must have missed the way in for walkers as I did a loop in the town centre, swinging via Tesco for a late lunch before making my way to the station.

River Stort Navigation



I didn’t have long to wait before winner 720101 rolled in on a service from Cambridge, and with nothing else due to be coming south for a while I took this unit all the way to Liverpool Street, transferring to the sub surface line, linear hopping to Euston Square getting S7 set 21413/414 & S8 set 21111/112 over a mile with a linear hop at Farringdon.  A gentle stroll took me to Euston where I headed to board winner 730045 on a Milton Keynes stopper which departed rather overcrowded, to such a degree I couldn’t even get off at Harrow & Wealdstone.  I managed to get off at Watford Junction when the train did empty out somewhat, watching a pair of 730s zooming through without stopping from Tring as all the stops were ripped out due to departing 5 minutes late.

When I was waiting for the next 730 diagram, a pair of 350s from Crewe rolled into platform 7 causing a couple of Pendos to use the bi directional lines to head south via platform 8 [usual down slow] with a Tring bound 350 using platform 9 [usual up slow] to depart towards Tring.  Anyhow it was a short wait before winners 730008 & 730002 rolled in on a busy service from Tring with someone kicking off that I dared sit opposite him (as the other options involved sitting next to someone else).  Anyhow these 730s took me to Euston and I exited the station for a quick break.

390112 passing Watford Junction


Next up was an Avanti service for Wolverhampton formed of winner 805009 leading dud 805008 which I took to Watford Junction, the announcements from “Digital Doris” are just far too loud on these units to be comfortable.  I returned to Euston nonstop on 350111 & 350237 sitting in the 350/2 due to a large crowd at the front of the platform, and headed to the Victoria line taking 11060/11059 on the first available service towards Tottenham Hale.  When I saw the train go into the centre platform at Seven Sisters (the depot access line) I was expecting an announcement that the train would now terminate.  I was surprised when the announcement played out that this train would continue to Walthamstow within the next couple of minutes, which it did covering the rare connection at the Walthamstow end of platform 4 (BLS hat firmly on).  One of those cases of being in the right place at the right time.

Departing northbound from Seven Sisters P4


Anyhow back to the trains, I changed to Greater Anglia for the second time of the day and onto winner 720572 leading dud 720521 on a service from Hertford East to take me to Liverpool Street, remaining on board to take the same pair back out to Tottenham Hale, solely to push 572 over ten miles.  I switched back to the underground with 11005/11006 taken for the run back to Euston where I managed to board 390049 on a service for Manchester which called at Milton Keynes (as I didn’t want to risk the next LNR service as that was showing as 4 coaches and with the previous LNR towards Northampton cancelled I would imagine it might have been busy.

The Pendo took me to Milton Keynes in comfort giving me around 20 minutes to relax before 350121 & 350118 rolled in on the Northampton service (would normally be Birmingham New Street, but LNR were having one of their usual meltdowns).  This service took me one stop to Wolverton for a short fester for 350243/350109 on the next southbound service which terminates at Milton Keynes and unusually uses platform 2 from the north (platform 2 is normally used by the stoppers).  Another tiny BLS style microgrice to end the day.  I exited the station bumping into an online friend for a nice catchup as we walked towards my accommodation (the Travelodge in “The Hub”, close to the large Sainsburys [which annoyingly doesn’t open until 7am on Saturdays]).  We parted ways and I headed to my room on the 6th floor for a much-needed shower and rest ready for an early start on the Saturday.

350109 at Milton Keynes



14th September – The Eastriggs Eloper Tour

A tour I was very much sitting on the fence since it got announced, the unusual track into Eastriggs (located between Gretna Green & Annan), formally a MOD place now seeing a new use of life as a secure storage area).  I think what tipped me over the edge was the news that it would be using the freight track to the south of Carlisle linking the WCML with the Cumbrian Coast line, also with hotels in Milton Keynes being a quite reasonable £38.

Anyhow the day began leaving the hotel, making my way towards Morrisons for a supply raid (as the tour didn’t have much in the way of free time) and towards the station arriving in good time for winner 57310 to arrive hauling the Mk2 coaches.  I was sat in the 3rd coach from the front (I think) which was lightly loaded as Milton Keynes was the 2nd pick up after starting from Watford Junction.  The train headed via the Northampton loop for a pick up at Northampton before doing a loop to the north of the station before heading towards Rugby for a crew change then onwards to Nuneaton where the train did start to fill up.  Another pick up was made at Stafford with my coach becoming quite full, but sadly the other passengers at my table were silent, not even a “morning” or “hello” from one of them.  Great it was going to be another one of those tours I said to myself.

57310 at Milton Keynes


After a further crew change at Crewe (not a pick-up stop as it was originally meant to use a loop but had to use platform 11 due to a freight train being in the way) the speed increased heading along the WCML with a final pick up being made in Preston.  Onwards to Carlisle with the 57 making good time on the hills of the Lake District, where the train paused on platform 1 giving a 35-minute break when winner 66756 attached to the rear, enough time to dash to Boots to grab some food (considering there isn’t much else in Carlisle these days now the Tesco Express has gone).

I returned to the train, taking my low-down seat as the train headed into Scotland (I got lucky to get a photograph from the drop-light of the boundary river as the AC was broken once more so I needed some fresh air).  The train headed off the WCML and towards the headshunt giving access to Eastriggs, running all the way to the end before reversing into the former MOD area (all the fences), passing some stored snow ploughs, reaching the stop board marking the ‘limit of lease’.  The track continued beyond that point but was out of use (and likely will never see anything again).

Crossing the River Sark from the WCML (England - Scotland Border)

After a short break where the stock was watered (and driver had their PNB), the 57 hauled the train back towards the headshunt with the 66 taking charge once more with the train joining the Carlisle -  Dumfries line to head back south towards Carlisle, doing a loop to the north of the station before doing line C within the station (one of the through lines) heading towards Upperby Goods Loop to the south of the station, reversing once more to head away from the WCML onto the freight line going underneath the WCML towards Currock Junction on the line towards Whitehaven (another line I want to revisit at some point).

66756 was in charge for the final time as the train headed back towards Carlisle for a brief pause to allow passengers to alight if they so wished (to have a longer break) before the train resumed its journey heading north, annoyingly not doing the goods line which goes round the back of Kingmoor yard (but it wasn’t advertised so I can’t complain).  The 66 turned off the WCML onto the Longtown branch running towards a level crossing near Bush on Esk, it couldn’t go much further due to a MOD exercise, but I’ve previously been on this line in 2016 (although can’t remember where that tour reached).  Anyhow one final reversal with the 57 leading the train back into Carlisle, going via the flyover near Kingmoor yard where I decided I had simply had enough, there was a very annoying passenger in my coach whom was quite loud and considering I was planning to bail at Preston (due to timings as I needed to get home) and I fancied a trip via the Tyne Valley line.

Azuma at Carlisle

LNER were doing the usual autumn diverts via Carlisle with the northern part of the ECML closed and I boarded 800205 attached with 801102, turning down the seat I had been given when buying my ticket and headed to a quiet coach which only had 3 other passengers in, relaxing for the slow run towards Newcastle, getting delayed near Hexham due to trespassers but the timings were padded more than my new winter coat, sadly it didn’t do the loop as booked to approach Newcastle from the High Level Bridge (for the novelty factor of doing an Azuma over that bridge).  Due to an operational incident with an Edinburgh bound service this train reversed at Newcastle to head back over the King Edward bridge in reverse formation.  The new platforms at Darlington seem to be coming along well with this coach only getting busy at York (emptying out at Doncaster).  Nothing else unusual happened with the trip to Kings Cross with the train arriving a few minutes ahead of schedule (probably due to Thameslink having one of their usual Saturday evening meltdowns).

It was a long walk from coach 9 to the exit and to the underground.  I was originally considering the Piccadilly line to Leicester Square but that was closed so it was onto the Victoria line with set 11023/11024 taken to Oxford Circus for a short wait for the next available southbound Bakerloo service with sets 3232/3536 taken to Waterloo.  Exiting the underground, I headed towards the platform where the 22:50 service to Salisbury was loading up with 159013 leading 158881, sitting near the front where it was quieter and I relaxed with the journey to Grateley, tiredness hitting me after Basingstoke.

A good tour for some new track into my book, along with 2 more locos, I had forgot how pretty the Tyne Valley line is.  Next weekend sees a return to day trips before the 323 farewell the following weekend.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment