Saturday, 10 October 2026

Late Summer Holiday Adventuring Part 2 (8th – 11th September), Scotland

 Late Summer Holiday Adventuring Part 2 (8th – 11th September), Scotland

8th September – Scotland Day 1


A return to the little guest house in Hamilton was on the cards for a 3-night stay, having left the previous blog travelling north on the sleeper to Glasgow.  The sleeper arrived into Glasgow Central near enough on time, and I headed out into the city streets with a gentle stroll to the Bridge Street subway station (mainly to get some fresh air and to wake my legs up).  I headed to the island platform and got lucky with winner set 313 on an outer service, passing another winner set at the next station so I gave chase taking 313 to Kelvinhall for a short wait for 314 to roll round on an inner service.  Certainly, the new automatic announcements felt strange at first compared to the older style manual announcements but I guess it’s something regulars will get used to.

Anyhow I took 314 to St Enoch, transferring to Glasgow Central and onto 385026 working a Gourock service, new track coverage for a 385 and a long-awaited return to the Gourock line.  I took this train to the end of the line, arriving onto platform 1 which made things a bit easier as I could use the side exit of the station to begin my short walk, with one eye on the weather as rain was due to arrive at some point.  Leaving the station, I headed on the path via the ferry terminal to reach Tarbet Street, going via Cove Road to reach Battery Park overlooking Cardwell Bay near Fort Matilda station.

385026 at Gourock Station


After a detour in Battery Park, I returned to the road before picking up the Greenock Esplanade with some nice views over the water.  This took me towards Greenock with a detour via the roads (and underneath an old railway bridge which used to carry a branch line into the docks).  I re-joined the water front near the cruise terminal (with a large cruise ship berthed) and followed the path along Custom House Quay and the small harbours (East India & Victoria).  I continued my stroll along the side of the water passing the Premier Inn at Greenock, near the entrance to the James Watt Marina where the waterside cycle path moves inland [and towards the old railway line path via Bridge of Weir].

I climbed a slight hill as the rain began as I was walking along the main road before reaching Cartsdyke station, taking shelter from the rain before 385033 arrived to take me back into Glasgow Central.  As I still had some time before I could check into my accommodation I headed to St Enoch in the hope that set 317 would be out, taking 315 to Bridge Street and spending 30 minutes keeping my eyes out on both sides before taking 308 back to St Enoch with an unsuccessful trip.

Clyde Estuary from Greenock Esplanade


At Glasgow Central I made the mistake to jump on 320413 to Exhibition Centre as it missed a connection to a Hamilton bound service, giving me an extra 10 minutes before 320315 rolled in to take me to Hamilton Central, where I made my way to the guest house for my first visit since Easter last year (it only has one room so is quite often sold out).  It's not perfect but for £35 a night is hard to beat in the current climate, especially as it's not above a pub!

After checking in, and emptying out my rucksack, I returned to Hamilton Central station and onto 318250 & 318260 to take me to Glasgow Central, where I boarded a late running 397004 on a Manchester Airport service as it had been a while since my last long-distance run on a 397 where it would get a chance to run at speed.  Also, it avoided a busy looking 9 coach Pendo on the next London train as I had a private table for the run to Carlisle.  With time to waste in Carlisle I had a gentle stroll towards the little Tesco Express (and via M&S for some doughnuts) before returning to the station to board 222602 on the Stirling bound Lumo, easily getting a decent seat (these trains are similar to Grand Central, busy at the London end but usage drops off at the northern ends).  This service took me to Greenfaulds, where I swapped platforms.

222602 at Greenfaulds Station


Next up was 385109 on a Glasgow Queen Street service, as I made use of the declassified first-class area at the rear of the unit for the slow run via Springburn.  In Glasgow city centre, it was a gentle stroll across to Glasgow Central and onto 320304 & 320321 for the run to Hamilton Central.  In Hamilton I made my way back to the accommodation to relax for the remainder of the evening, looking up train times for the morning.

9th September – Scotland Day 2


My plan for the Wednesday was a walk I’ve been wanting to do for a while but postponed it due to poor weather forecast, the disused railway line path from Dunfermline towards Alloa (not to be confused with the mothballed (?) freight line which goes via Culross.  I headed to Hamilton Central station and onto 320418 & 320316 to take me to Glasgow Central, where after grabbing breakfast (and items for lunch) I headed to Queen Street and onto 385031 to Bishopbriggs for a time-wasting move.

A short time at Bishopbriggs and it was onto 385108 & 385118 working one of the last ‘peak time’ extra Edinburgh fast services which have an unusual calling pattern of Bishopbriggs, Lenzie & Falkirk High before running nonstop to Haymarket.  Next up was 170396 to take me to Dunfermline City where my walk began. Leaving the station area at Dunfermline, I headed towards Pittencrieff Park, following the former road towards Pittencrieff Street.  A gentle stroll via the suburbs took me towards the Tower Burn near to where the former railway line path began.  It was a decent solid path with the first section having housing on the north side and countryside on the south before leaving behind the housing and into woodland.

170396 departs Dunfermline City Station


The cycle path continued heading mostly west, the woodland giving way to the delightful Fife countryside on this peaceful path.  The path skirted round the southern edge of the villages of Oakley, Comrie & Blairhall with some beautiful woodland.  I continued with the scenery changing between countryside & woodland, going underneath the A907 near the former Bogside station (no evidence of the platforms but an old signal box remains).

I continued along the path which turned into a farm access track before returning to a standalone tarmac path crossing over the A977, giving some nice views of the hills to the north as the path came to an end on the outskirts of Clackmannan, just after the B910.  The next section was along a closed off road leading to a cattery before crossing over the A907 and running alongside this busy road, underneath the existing freight railway.

View from the Dunfermline to Alloa Railway Path between Bogside & Clackmannan


The section along the road ended as the cycle path entered a woodland area heading towards Alloa and a housing area.  I continued along the cycle path to reach Alloa Tower and a little park area where my walk on the cycle path came to an end. The path continues towards Cambus/Tuillibody & splits with one part going to Stirling, the other heading towards Menstrie & Alva but that is a job for another day.  I headed via the town centre, detouring via Asda before reaching the station and onto 385016 which had split on the platform at Alloa (leaving another 3-coach unit behind which runs ECS to Dunblane).  A long but very enjoyable walk, worth the wait.

I took this 385 to Stirling, changing onto 385111 to Dunblane for a time-wasting move before the next Lumo service.  Dunblane is another area on my list for a decent explore, especially with the "Darn Walk" route towards Bridge of Allan, but for today I remained on 385111 to take me to Larbeth, swapping platforms to take 385012 & 385007 back to Stirling as I waited a late running 222605 to arrive on platform 10.  It was late in which meant it was late departing back towards London, as I made myself comfortable for the run towards Carlisle.  This particular service was one of the services which bypasses Motherwell station to run via Holytown & Wishaw for the extra novelty of a 222 over those unusual curves.

Alloa Tower


Annoyingly I was planning to visit Spoons in Carlisle for dinner, but the delay to the southbound train meant my connection was cut from 80 minutes to just over 20 minutes, so instead of Spoons I had a fast walk to the little Tesco Express in the city centre to grab some dinner before returning to Carlisle station and onto winner (for renumbering) 222603 to take me back to Scotland, leaving the train at Motherwell and making a connection onto 320315 & 318270 for the journey to Hamilton Central.  A gentle stroll back to the accommodation finished the day.

10th September – Scotland Day 3

Today’s idea was to head towards Tayside and to walk the Angus Coastal path from Arbroath towards Carnoustie, Monifieth & Broughty Ferry.  I left my accommodation a bit earlier than the day before to catch 320411 on a service to Glasgow Central, a service which got quite busy due to being 3 coaches.  At Glasgow Central I headed upstairs and towards 380008 for a little spin to Paisley Canal, another branch line I hadn’t been along for a good few years (back when the 314s were floating around).  I returned to Glasgow Central on the same 380 and had a gentle stroll towards Queen Street for the Aberdeen train.

This was a 4 coach HST set, with 43035 & 43128 and I relaxed for the speedy (other than some long dwells at Perth & Dundee) run to Arbroath where my walk began with a strong breeze across the water!  I headed via the town towards the little harbour and the Signal Tower Museum, picking up a path along the side of Inchcape Park, used by campervans (Queen's Drive).  This let me towards West Links and a lovely beach (even if the water looked rough).  I continued along the path with the water on my left and railway line on the right, heading away from Arbroath and towards Elliot Links where the path moved away from the waterfront towards the railway.

An Azuma alongside the Arbroath West Links Beach


The path quality was reasonable for the next section, as I followed the path south west towards East Haven, quite a busy path with other walkers & joggers.  At East Haven the path moved inland again, going underneath the railway and running along a cycle path next to the road (separated with a hedge).  This took me towards Carnoustie, crossing back over the railway and towards the waterfront in the Westhaven area of the town.  I passed the station and followed the waterfront path towards the rather posh looking Carnoustie Golf Hotel, heading inland again (there is a path which follows the water from the looks of it, but something which needs more research).

I was now back on a path I've used a couple of times (and no doubt many others when visiting stations), a path which I swear has been upgraded since 2020.  This runs between the golf course (on the left) and the railway (on my right), heading to Barry Links station.  A plan to grab a photograph of this little served station was spoilt with someone sitting on a bench and when I paused on the level crossing, he looked straight towards me and I decided it wasn't worth the hassle if he kicked off for daring to take his photograph, so a photograph of a 158 will have to do instead.

158727 alongside the Angus Coastal (Cycle Route 1) path near Carnoustie

Leaving Barry Links station area, I paused for a few minutes to have my lunch before carrying on with new coverage with the area on my left now MOD property with the railway on my right-hand side, the HSTs making a lovely noise when they passed.  Sadly, I didn't get lucky with the rain as it started to rain when around half-way along the path, so I got a bit wet!  I continued towards Monifieth and the pleasant beach deciding to end the walk here, the weather wasn't getting any better and my coat was a bit hopeless with heavy rain.  I arrived at the station around 10 minutes before a Glasgow bound HST arrived with 43134 & 43149 to take me to Dundee (local door only due to the short platform).

This is when I made a mistake in not checking the location of my last Lumo 222, as earlier this morning it was due to arrive into Motherwell around 21:30, but it had been swapped over during the day and at the time I was on the HST the 222 was at Stirling on the 17:09 service (and that HST would have got me into Stirling for around 16:45, the benefit of hindsight and all that).  Anyhow I changed at Dundee onto a London bound 800104, taking a seat in coach C which was showing as Available, until it reached Inverkeithing where it changed to being reserved from Inverkeithing to Edinburgh and I got turfed out.  I do wish LNER would go back to displaying “May be Reserved Later” for the seats which can get reserved along the way, would be more customer friendly.  Anyhow I changed at Haymarket onto 385124 & 385102 on a Glasgow Queen Street service, first stop Falkirk High.

43134 arriving at Monifieth Station


At Glasgow Queen Street I made a bee-line towards 156493 & 156458 on a West Highland Line service to take me towards Dalmuir, I was considering staying on this until Dumbarton to visit the Spoons but decided to change at Dalmuir onto 334006 & 334012 towards Partick & then 320415 & 318258 to Cambuslang.  At Cambuslang I headed towards the local Spoons in an old cinema building for dinner before finishing the day with 318254 & 320321 to Hamilton Central and a relaxing warm shower.  An enjoyable (if wet) day in Angus, I shall need to return to Tayside to finish the coastal path plus an old railway path another time.

11th September – Scotland Day 4

My last day in Scotland (boo), I checked out of the accommodation and headed to Hamilton Central station for the last time on this trip, jumping on 318250 & 320310 to Motherwell to give a reasonable connection onto 320417 working a peak time service to Glasgow Central nonstop via Bellshill.  Surprisingly I managed to get a decent seat in the motor coach for the speedy run to Central.  At Glasgow Central I made my way towards 380111 working the next East Kilbride service to take me to East Kilbride (mainly to tick off coverage of this slow branch line by an electric train, because Scotland understands the benefits of overhead wiring).

The original idea for today was to explore the route of the long-gone railway which used to continue from East Kilbride towards the Hamilton line, so after leaving the station I followed some footpaths before the mixed used cycle path began.  Running via the Show Park for a short distance before finishing in the Nerston area of the town.  On seeing a signpost saying Glasgow wasn't that far away, I decided to continue along the route of the cycle path.  Heading via the industrial estate and Kingsgate retail park the path detoured via a dead-end residential road before running alongside the A479 giving some nice views of the countryside and views of the large built-up area of Glasgow (buildings as far as the eye could see).

380111 at East Kilbride Station


I arrived in the Whitlawburn area, leaving the route of cycle route as it headed towards Rutherglen, as I headed towards Cambuslang, ruling out the option of picking up a train at Kirkhill (or even Burnside).  Passing via the Holmhills Wood Community Park but it was mostly via the roads reaching Cambuslang station to pick up 320309 for the run into Glasgow Central (low level, rather than a random 320 popping out on a Lanark service).  This gave me time to grab some supplies in the city centre before making my way to Queen Street and onto a Dundee service formed of 158732 to take me to Stirling (some high-speed Scottish Sprinter action!).

At Stirling, I relaxed on the benches on platform 9 & 10, waiting for winner (for renumbering) 222604 to arrive from London, as I grabbed a seat in the unreserved area of coach C (original 222 seating rather than a former 1st class coach with new seats).  I settled down for the long journey to Euston, the coach I was in only getting busy at Preston, where it ran nonstop to Nuneaton (passing Wigan & Warrington certainly felt unusual).  Arrival into Euston was near enough on time with my 222-mileage increasing somewhat this trip!

222604 at Stirling Station



I headed to the underground, jumping on 51573/51572 on the first available southbound northern line service to Waterloo, even having time to grab some dinner from Sainsburys before boarding the 18:23 with seconds to spare before it departed.  Something I wouldn't dream on doing on a Monday to Thursday, but as it was a Friday it wasn't that busy towards the middle of the train.  159007, 159010 & 159014 finished my Scottish adventure with the speedy run to Grateley, where I relaxed after unpacking my rucksack and getting set for another series of day trips.  Which feels a good place to end part 2 of my late summer holiday writing, as always thanks for reading, more photos can be found on my Flickr *Here*.  Have a good day


No comments:

Post a Comment