Sunday 25 August 2019

16th August – A London Day


16th August – A London Day

I was off work for the next week (and a bit) on some annual leave, having hit the rails on the Thursday afternoon to revisit Shawford & Hook for some random platform scratches (after the week I had at work, I needed to escape and Shawford common allowed me to do so).  I was staying overnight in the Walsall area so I had a good few hours in London, deciding to ask for info on my last few SWR unit needs, more for the last few 450s (which can work away from London, or work peak time additional services spending off-peak in Clapham yard).

So when I awaited on news, I headed towards the station with a busy 159022 &159012 taken to Basingstoke, for 165116 to Reading,  my eyes were mainly fixed on a couple late running services from the West Country (as more likely to be 802s), but before they arrived winner 802003 rolled in from Bedwyn.  Along the way I got some news, and it was quite good because 3 out of the 4, 450s were working Basingstoke/Alton services [calls at Surbiton], with the 4th due to work a peak time service calling at Clapham later in the evening.  Plus I got info on my last couple 458s but my last 707 was “on depot”.  So along the way into Paddington I made up a rough plan of attack.

At Paddington it was straight towards the Bakerloo line with 3243/3541 taken to Oxford Circus, where I changed to 11009/11010 to take me to Victoria, for no reason other than to have a look to see if there was anything of interest floating around, sadly not as I took 377208 & 377474 to Clapham Junction (passing a low mileage 377 heading towards Victoria & a 455 also heading towards Victoria, so I made a note of their inbound workings to have a look at what services they would form to try and allow me to intercept).  At Clapham Junction, it was a short walk across to platform 7 before a triple 450 from Alton arrived, 450001 leading 450016 with 450108 on the rear.  450108 is the unit I had the night before on a Winchester – Shawford leap, little did I know at the time how those extra 3 miles would come in handy as it meant it was cleared for 10 miles around the Vauxhall area.

Talking about Vauxhall, that is where I was heading next, after walking across to the former International platforms to board 458529 & 458507, the mile being enough for 529, and I returned to Waterloo on the next inbound service, this being 455864/455853/456021, and I headed across to where a triple 450 from Alton was arriving, and I was happy because 2 out of my 3 requirements featured, and both those 2 were low [one on a Clapham leap, the other on a Vauxhall leap!].  I took a seat on 450122, 450020 & 450114 for the non-stop run to Surbiton, returning back to Waterloo on 450037 & 450005.  Had this pair of 450s called at Clapham I could have intercepted my last 458 as it headed towards Windsor but alas couldn’t be helped.  During the trip to/from Surbiton I worked out a rough plan of action for those Southern units I saw, so it was a short walk across the bridge to Waterloo East, jumping on an unknown 6 coach service, little did I know 466006 was leading 465045 and 006 was on 9-odd miles so the leap to London Bridge was enough to clear it for mileage (happy days!).

At London Bridge I headed across to the Thameslink platforms, the first southbound service wasn’t of interest, the next was heading to Rainham, the third was also of little interest but I decided to take it anyhow (as the 4th would give a tight connection at Croydon), so it was onwards to Norwood Junction on 700129, changing to 455804/455831 to East Croydon (a shot in the dark, the 455s actually beat the 700 into Croydon due to congestion!)  I headed across to platform 1 and awaited the service from Brighton which as expected featured 377108 & 377145 for the run to Clapham Junction, and a short walk across to the Windsor lines side for 455718 & 455708 to take me to Richmond to intercept the service from Windsor.

I had my fingers crossed as 458505 rolled in with 458501 on the rear, the run to Waterloo needed for my final 458 for mileage (I also think 501 was my last 458 to get for haulage outright a couple years ago when I had it on a Vauxhall leap).  During the time I asked about 319s on London North Western services and got some good news as 2 out of the 3 were gettable, but to waste some time I headed across to Waterloo East with a busy 465162 being given an extra mile to London Bridge and 466022, 465901 & 465906 taken back to Charing Cross, where I headed to the Northern line with 51718/51616 took me the mile & a half to Euston with some time to spare before the first of the evening 319 operated services.

The 16:04 (ish) to Tring was formed of 319216, 319220 & 319005 so a run to Harrow & Wealdstone was needed for the 319, sitting in the motor coach (overhearing someone attempting to make a telephone conversation but was complaining about the noise, surely if they had sense they would move to another coach).  At Harrow & Wealdstone [seems the building is getting refurbished] it was across to platform 6, the first service was a pair of 377/2s which were of no interest, followed by a single unit from Tring, I was happy as it was low mileage 350257, I even managed to get a seat!  Back to Euston and once more I headed across towards Victoria with 11039 & 11040 doing the honours, time was more limited this time as I had a couple minutes to spare before boarding 455807 & 455844, the run to Wandsworth Common would just be enough to push 844 over ten miles (by a mere 3 chains!), so that is where I headed, making a connection onto 455842 & 455828 back towards Clapham Junction where I had around 5 minutes to head across to platform 7, extended by around 5 minutes due to congestion.

My fingers were crossed again as the triple unit from Poole rolled in, 450101 was on the front, 450554 was on the rear and 450558 was in the middle, happy days.  The run to Clapham was enough for this 450, which was lucky as the next service was fast outside the zones, but at the start I didn’t think I would get all 4 of the buggers, so I was in a very happy mood, no longer need I keep an eye out along the way to London.  At Waterloo I noticed something had gone wrong as the Wimbledon suburban platforms were empty of trains (and busy with commuters), a train had broken down around the Earlsfield area causing a lot of delays, oops!

Spot the Train...


Anyhow, I headed across to the former international platforms once again, this time in the hunt of that 707 which had come out to play working Hounslow loop services and I took a seat on 707015 & 707018 for the run to Clapham, enough to clear it for ten miles, clear the class with an uncertain future for mileage and also nearly clears SWR outright, just a 442 for mileage (and i don’t believe 442409 has re-entered service yet).  At Clapham I headed across to the Southern side and jumped on 377125 & 377433 to take me to Balham, more of a time wasting move to board a Milton Keynes bound 377201 & 377212 to Harrow & Wealdstone; the service would be cut back at Watford Junction due to issues further along the line.  I was glad I did it this way rather than going back via Euston as the next Tring stopper was cancelled.  The triple 319 from Tring was delayed somewhat but eventually rolled in with 319433 leading 319441 with 319219 on the rear, just leaves me with 214 for the London North Western fleet.

I arrived to find Euston in a state of chaos (it was the day there was wiring issues around Rugeley, not helped by the trespassers), so I leapt on the first northbound service, which was a Crewe (via the Trent Valley) bound 350370, and was only joined by 2 other passengers in the front coach!  At Rugby I changed platforms and awaited a Crewe via Birmingham service formed of a busier 350113 to take me to Birmingham New Street to await the last ‘semifast’ to Walsall service [the following services would all be stoppers], this worked from Wolverhampton and the inbound service was late, eventually 350108 appeared to take me to Walsall running fast to Tame Bridge Parkway via Aston.

A gentle walk took me to the Travelodge in Walsall, where I checked in, put my devices on charge, had a shower, sorted my bag out [good thing with being in a hotel for 2 nights is being able to dump some weight], and headed in for the night.  A little bit noisy from the road, but not as bad as some hotels (and at least with the AC I could keep the window closed).  Overall a very successful day in terms of my mileage requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment