Tuesday 27 August 2019

17th August – Return to the Conwy Valley (Part 1)


17th August – A return to the Conwy Valley (Part 1)

The Conwy Valley line runs from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog, and is quite scenic, however it is prone to flood damage, having planned this trip back last October for it to fall aside when the line was replaced by buses, and as part of my trip to North Wales in June, but the line was closed.  It is a line which will always feature high for me as it was the line I finished the challenge the first time round when I alighted from the 150 at Roman Bridge on a Monday morning in October 2017.  Sadly this time I won’t be able to clear Wales with the trip as Dolgarrog is temporary closed due to the platform being damaged in the storms earlier in the year.

The day began where the Friday ended, at the Walsall Travelodge, as I made use of the nearby Tesco Extra for supplies & breakfast before heading towards the station and onto the 06:33 stopping service to Birmingham New Street (I was hoping for the 06:38 semi-fast service, but that was running around 20 minutes late), the 06:33 forms from the “Walsall Express”, the PSUL service from Wolverhampton which goes the direct route to Walsall (06:10 Wolverhampton to Walsall), something which is on my “to-do” list at some point.  Needless to say when 350236 rolled in, it was rather empty, a slow and steady trip to New Street where I had a few options for a potential linear hop, my eye falling on low mileage 323222 on the next Wolverhampton stopper, so it was onwards to Wolverhampton to await the Welsh train.

158838 rolled in, and I managed to get a decent seat on a busy service (lots of families heading out for a day-trip), nice speedy run towards Shrewsbury where it crashed into 158828 continuing along the line towards Wrexham for a quick reversal at Chester before heading along the North Wales coast route, the train emptying out at Rhyl, but I remained on a little bit further to alight at Llandudno Junction where I had around 20 minutes before the next Conwy Valley service rolled in from Llandudno.  This was formed of 150235 and was quite busy for the scenic run towards  Llanrwst,  passing the current platformless Dolgarrog.

No Platform for Old Men


Nothing of note around Llanrwst station, as I set about on a gentle walk into the town, picking up lunch from the Co-Op before carrying on my slow walk towards North Llanrwst station, the passing loop on this line and the southbound passenger information system was a bit broken as it kept on announcing the next train would be the 10:54 to Blaenau Ffestiniog which has already been and gone.  Still better than the endless security announcements at Hope, with time to spare I took a seat and relaxed, flagging down the return of 150235 and requesting the beautiful Glan Conwy, one of my top 6 stations just for the views of the river.

View from Glan Conwy


I had around an hour to fester here, so after going for a walk around the area I returned to a nice bench, watching the weather with dark clouds rolling in from the south, will the sprinter return before the rain starts?  Yes it did, as 150235 returned to take me back towards North Llanrwst for a platform score and I had another gentle potter around the town centre, making my slow way towards the Watling Street bus stop, trusting the timetable information on the website to be correct rather than the printed timetables on the bus stop.  Thankfully the website was correct as bus YJ15 AFZ rolled in on an X19 service, and other than me there was one other passenger and it was non-stop along the main-road to the Tal-y-Cafn Hotel stop.  A short walk along the road took me to Tal-Y-Cafn station itself, where I took a seat on the platform (after a quick explore) to carry on with my magazine, flagging down 150235 once more.

It was back to Llandudno Junction for a short fester before low mileage 175113 rolled in on the Holyhead bound, I saw this unit earlier on but lost tracking of it (it was on a Birmingham service, so must have been swapped over at Shrewsbury because 175s to Birmingham are quite rare).  Neither the less I was happy as it meant the class was cleared for mileage, no longer need I keep an eye out at Manchester for the Hippos.  Anyhow I took this 175 to Bangor where I had around 35 minutes to fester, so I popped down towards the town centre to a large Asda for items for dinner before returning to the station for 175111 to take me back towards Shrewsbury where I noticed the Cambrian line had fallen over somewhat (this service carried on to Cardiff with a service from Welshpool being the next Birmingham service, at the time was running around 30 minutes late).

However someone within TfW control decided to cancel that service at Shrewsbury and insert a new “Shrewsbury – Birmingham International” service using an unit which would detach from the next Aberystwyth service, so for me it was good news as it meant an empty unit, not so good news for any passengers from Aberystwyth who would be delayed and have to head to Birmingham on a 170 stopper.  Anyhow it was onto a modified 150229 for some good speed towards Birmingham New Street, some Telford folk being unhappy at being caught by the guard without a ticket for their trip to Wolverhampton and being charged the full fat anytime fare with no railcard discounts (evil laugh!).

Once at New Street I had a couple ideas, the first was a jolly up the Chase line because on Saturday evenings there is a couple trips to Rugeley Trent Valley which are in the hands of 323s (normally solid 350).  But first it was a trip to Hednesford on 350241 for a random platform scratch before 323217 rolled in to take me to the end of the line at Rugeley Trent Valley, the motor noise being very nice on the fast section, and a bit of a novelty as I’ve only previously had 170s along this line (other than a couple charter services).

A 323 at the wrong Trent Valley Station!


Anyhow, a gentle turnaround at Rugeley Trent Valley before 323217 headed back towards Birmingham and I bailed at Walsall to walk back towards the hotel, the end of a good day in North Wales.  In theory when Dolgarrog does re-open I can do it on a day trip from home to reduce the cost

No comments:

Post a Comment