Monday 2 September 2019

22nd August – A trip to Greater Anglia Land


22nd August – A trip to Greater Anglia Land

Back at the start of the year I made a list of things I wanted to do, something which featured was to sample a 321 between Ipswich & Norwich, I was originally going to head this way in March time but decided against it (as the weather was a bit rubbish), my rough plan was put in my “ideas” folder, getting modified every now and again, so I decided to dust it off and head towards Norwich, in 90 minutes.

A gentle walk to Grateley station, and it was onto a busy 159106/159108 for the run to Waterloo, arriving a couple minutes ahead of schedule which is always a bonus as I walked towards the Waterloo & City line, jumping onto 65501/65502 as it rolled into the platform at Waterloo to start its journey to Bank, and across to the Central Line where I didn’t have long to wait before set 91097/92464/92070/91193 rolled in to take me the half mile to Liverpool Street, where I exited the station to get some supplies from Tesco.  My original idea of getting my ranger from the ticket office was ditched due to there being a massive queue (all the tourists!).

"My Name is Bond, Skoda Bond"




 
The 11:00 service to Norwich this morning had DVT 82132 leading the Mk3 coaches with 90007 providing the power, I got a decent table seat in the 2nd coach from the front (knowing I potentially had a tight connection at Norwich), not that heavily loaded for the non-stop run to Ipswich, losing a couple minutes around Witham due to a late running Braintree service (caused by a late running freight service), a quick stop at Ipswich then non-stop to Norwich.  I have a soft spot for this line as it gives some nice views, especially between Manningtree & Ipswich, and going through Colchester nonstop was a first for me.  This trip would probably be my farewell to the 90s on Greater Anglia, as it is unlikely I will do the full run to Norwich again.  The service reached Norwich in 92 minutes, arriving around 12:32 allowing me enough time to slowly walk over to platform 6 to try out my first 755, in the shape of 755410. 

Interior wise these things are great, good mix of table & airline seats which line up with the windows, plus the engines being in the middle meant no engine noise and quite quick to gain power, I can’t wait to sample one of these on the Cambridge line where it will get a chance for some fast running.  The train ran to Great Yarmouth, where I took a couple pictures before boarding the opposite end for the run back to Norwich, overall I am impressed (with the train and the route).  Another brief visit to Norwich as my eyes were on the 14:00 Liverpool Street service which since May has regularly thrown out 321s to cover for the set lost for the Express services.  Today was no different with refurbished 321321 & 321323 on intercity duties, sadly being refurbished meant the windows were sealed so no epic motor noise.


A great train at Yarmouth

A pair of 321s having a little holiday


I took a seat in the motor coach (where else?) of 321321 for the fast run towards Ipswich, my first decent fast run on a 321 for ages, certainly felt different calling at Diss on something other than a Mk3 coach, but another aim for the day was ticked off, I know 321s are not suitable for intercity services due to the limited first class, 3+2 seating with no tables but still a good laugh.  At Ipswich I hung around to get a shock when 156416 rolled in on a Felixstowe service, it wasn’t the more usual 153.  A trip to Felixstowe was in order as it’s been a few years since I did this branch, forgetting how fast the unit gets after Derby Road, a nice run with the new freight loop around Trimley.  A quick picture of the unit at Felixstowe before I changed ends for the run back out towards Westerfield.

156s at Felixstowe, whatever next?


Westerfield is a strange station, it is on the line towards Lowestoft, but hardly any services to/from Lowestoft call, other than on Sundays.  I timed my visit well to use one of the few Lowestoft bound services which call in order for a random platform score, noticing the “formed of 1 carriage” popping up on the PIS, as 153335 rolled in.  As expected it was quite busy, but I managed to get a seat after asking a gentleman to move his bag, originally I was going to stay on to Saxmundham but I failed to notice this service sits at Woodbridge for 10 minutes (the off-pattern departure is due to an old freight path to Sizewell), and with the next southbound service running 10 minutes I decided to change my plan and bailed at Woodbridge, with 170202 eventually rolling in.  On a warm day the AC was very much welcomed, and it was back to Ipswich, putting myself ahead of my rough plan.

For a time wasting move, I jumped on DVT 82114 leading 90009 for the run to Stowmarket, returning to Ipswich on 90008 (with DVT 82136 on the other end), and popped out of the station for a brief walk before the booked Norwich bound 321s (17:03 or so from Liverpool Street), getting lucky with 321320 leading low mileage 321303 & 321326 for the run to Stowmarket, followed a few minutes later with DVT 82105 leading low mileage 90002 for the run to Diss.  Back to Ipswich on 90013 (DVT 82152 on the rear), where my next aim was about to be ticked off, with a pair of 317s on the next Ipswich – London stopper.  My luck was in as it was 317666 & 317514, as I took a seat in the 2+2 seated 317/6 (in the motor coach), I was expecting it to be a pair of 3+2 seated units which are not so nice inside.

"Damn, I forgot to turn left at Bethnal Green!"


The run to Stratford was delayed by a late running freight service being given the route from Ipswich, but it was a spirited run from the driver as he attempted to regain some of the lost time, certainly felt different having 317s on this route, again I can’t remember the last time I had a decent run on a 317, certainly where it could get up to speed.  I bailed at Stratford and made my way across to the Jubilee line with 96076 & 96015 taken to Waterloo, with one eye on the clock (as this plan was originally made when the 22:20 service called at Grateley).  I managed to get some dinner before jumping on a busy 159106 on the 21:50 service to take me back to Grateley, the end of a busy but successful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment