Monday 2 September 2019

26th August – Another Southern Daysave & 28th August - A mini trip to Pewsey


26th August – Another Bank Holiday Monday Southern Daysave

Like with the late bank holiday Monday in May, I decided to do a Southern Daysave, the main was to get some more of the 313s for mileage, plus a couple platforms.  It was a similar plan as last trip, with IDing the units on the Littlehampton/Bognor/Portsmouth circuit, the Worthing units, the Seaford/Lewes 5 and the Hove shuttle.  I had 6 to get for 10 miles, so set myself a target of 5, including any 377s I come across.


It was a nice early morning drive to Romsey, my car happy she saw some use after a week of rest, parking in the library carpark and watching to the station, buying my day return to Southampton from the friendly (and bored looking) ticket office gentleman, and waited as 166219 rolled in on a Southampton terminating service.  No surprise that the windows were all wide open as the AC on 166s is rubbish when it gets warm (and today promised to be a hot day).  I had a short connection at Southampton Central, but it was the same platform face, just further up from 2b (or not 2b) to 2a where 377440 was working a Victoria service which took me to Chichester in order to ID a Portsmouth bound service (313203 I believe).

Next up was a busy Brighton bound 377143 and I was glad to alight at Ford for a short fester before 377138 & 377402 took me one stop towards Horsham to the beautiful Arundel station, returning to Barnham on 377150 & 377154, spotting a 313 on the Littlehampton bound being low mileage.  A short wait before low mileage 313206 rolled up from Littlehampton on the next Bognor Regis service which I had to take both ways to get it over ten miles, returning to Bognor a few minutes later on 377439 & 377443 where due to late running was going from platform 2 to score the microgrice connection (although easy to do on Sundays I believe).  Another brief return at Bognor before returning to Barnham and having a fast walk via the subway to jump on the Portsmouth & Southsea bound 313219.

Bish, Bash, Bosham


It would have been cleared by Chichester, but I stayed on to Bosham to intercept the 4th unit, which was 313204 and not really of interest.  Neither was the following London 377, so I popped out of the station to a nearby Tesco for something to eat before returning for the next Brighton service.  377422 took me to Shoreham by Sea, passing a low mileage 377/1 on a Bognor service (so I made a note to look up its future moves).  The reason to bail at Shoreham was simply to ID a West Worthing service (having passed one of the three in the turnback siding), nothing of interest, so it was onwards to Hove on 377108, allowing me to ID the third unit on the Worthing Metro services (again, nothing of interest), but the unit on the Hove shuttles was required, and a quick calculation worked out I needed to do 3 shuttles to get it over ten miles, so it was onwards to Brighton on 313220, a quick chance to ID one of the Seaford units and anything else Southern in the station (ignoring the Gatwick Express units as I don’t need any, and the 700s as I didn’t have a valid ticket).

Back to Hove on 313220 for another quick look at a couple other units, spotting a low mileage 377/4 heading towards Littlehampton as I departed back towards Brighton, being able to tick 313220 off for mileage, with a gentle walk over to platform 8 where an ultra low mileage 313 was sat (another low mileage 313 was sitting in a siding near the station so I knew I wasn’t getting that one today, leaving just “Big Blue” (201) to see if it was out and about.  On the way to Lewes on 313208 I did a rough plan using RTT, basically I needed to stay on this unit beyond Lewes and after IDing the other units as not being blue, I decided to remain on 208 all the way to Seaford, and after a quick picture returned to Lewes.  I do like this line as it gives the units a chance to gain some speed, plus has beautiful views.

313208 at Seaford, underneath a big blue sky


At Lewes, I crossed over to platform 2 to board a Victoria bound 377426 & 377449 which ran non-stop to Wivelsfield (first time I believe I have passed Plumpton), and paused at Haywards Heath for a unit from Littlehampton to join on the rear.  I was happy because it was low mileage 377436 (which clears the sub-class) which I saw earlier at Hove.  The next stop for this service was Gatwick Airport which is where I alighted, to fight through the crowds boarding with suitcases, to await the next Portsmouth bound service, which was formed of 377447. 377112 & 377414, noting that the AC in 377112 was broken (it was quite warm when I walked through).  377447 detached from the other two units and continued fast to Barnham after Horsham (first time doing this line for a while, I always forget how pretty it is).

A short connection at Barnham as I waited for the next service from Bognor which as expected was formed of low mileage 377119, the run to Ford would leave it close to ten, so it was back to Arundel to push it over that line.  A short connection at Arundel (made longer due to a delay) with 377402 & 377138 taken to Ford, before 377110 rolled in to take me to Southampton Central, the last Southern service of the trip.  I had a short fester at Southampton before 158958 rolled in from Brighton which took me the final 8 miles to Romsey, with a nice drive back home.

377119 departs Arundel


Overall, my target was beaten with 6 units for mileage, leaving just the 2 313s, plus 9 of the Southern 377s.  A couple platforms were scored as well as an unusual microgricing at Barnham.  Overall it was a beautiful day, hence why I finished it earlier as I didn’t want to be hanging around Brighton when everybody started to head home, also it was the end of my summer holiday with work resuming on the Tuesday.

-------------------

28th August – A mini trip to Pewsey

Back a few years ago I did “Bedwyn rounders” to pass the time, basically Grateley – Bedwyn is valid via Westbury as it is the shortest route, but due to the tiny number of services which call at Bedwyn from the Westbury direction, the most common route is via Reading.  However during the evening peak there are some services which call at Bedwyn on route to Westbury, and since the May timetable change introduced a Bristol – Waterloo service which calls at Grateley around 9pm, it makes it easier to do the round trip, and as a side bonus both services call at Pewsey which would allow me to grab a picture (as the only previous time I have visited this station was when it was dark).

I finished work early on the Wednesday and decided to head out, with 159005 & 159105 working the 16:59 service from Grateley, which took me to Basingstoke, connecting to a busy 165112 where I sat in the declassified first class section (which surprisingly was quite empty) for the run to Reading, where I had some time to kill before the Frome stopper, 800002 was working a Newbury stopping service and a 802/1 was working a Penzance service.  Due to wire HopHHopefffdamage around Didcot, there was some additional Turbos working Oxford stoppers plus additional calls being made on some Bristol bound services due to the lack of EMUs.  My time at Reading was cut short with the appearance of 800313 which took me to Pewsey, emptying out along the way (calls at the same stations the Bedwyn services do, so a few short platform announcements).

A few pictures of a wet Pewsey with a late running service from Newquay also calling, but my time here wasn’t for long, because for some reason Pewsey gets two services inside 10 minutes, so it was onwards to Westbury on an Exeter bound 802111.  I noted a Portsmouth bound service being a 158+150 combo with the 150 detaching at Westbury to work back to Bristol, with a 159 arriving from Waterloo (which runs ECS back to the depot), which means for a while there is only one platform available, not the best when a Cardiff bound 158 was running late.  Eventually that departed and 159009 rolled in from Bristol to take me back to Grateley, darkness had fallen but I was glad I could get out and sample an IET from Newbury to Westbury.  A good day trip for just over £10.

800313 departs Pewsey on route to Frome

No comments:

Post a Comment