Monday 15 July 2019

12th & 13th July – A day in East Yorkshire [with a detour into North Yorkshire]


12th & 13th July – A day in East Yorkshire [with a detour into North Yorkshire]

This was another trip which I was planning to do last September time, but got caught up in the strikes on Northern, and the variable timetable where the first couple weeks there was one unit going Hull – York and back a handful of times before that was replaced by nothing, so after considerations I ditched my plans (thankfully the hotel room had free cancellation, but I lost out on around £30 for advance fares).  This was a trip which needed* a hotel stay in Hull on the Friday night (*well if I wanted to avoid a walk) so it was a case of looking up hotel prices for the hotels both near to the station plus ones which had late check in available.

The plan for this trip changed a bit since the rough plan last year, mainly with the hourly Hull – Scarborough services rather than the every 90-odd minutes they were previously.

12th July – An evening in London

As I was booked on the 20:30 Hull Trains service [hey it was cheap], I had an evening to spend within London, so after a few minutes of thinking what to do, I decided to hunt down my last few SWR 455 & 456s, and putting a request to see which services they were allocated to work out a rough plan.  Out of the 7 units, 6 were out and about (the 7th was stopped for repairs), so a quick plan with Real Time Trains and I came up with a very loose plan in order to ‘bag’ the units.  Made harder as these are for mileage and some of the units were only on tiny mile leaps [mainly Waterloo – Vauxhall] so would need a good run.

I finished work, headed home, and headed to the station after a quick turnaround at home (I’ve learnt over the years to pretty much have everything packed the night/morning before to allow for fast turnarounds).  The TVM at the station was out of use (again!) so it was a case of buying the tickets from the guard on the train.  Because the moves are repeated I will do it as a summary so you can skip ahead:

Grateley -> Basingstoke: 159020 & 159011 (nice to see this service being upgraded to a pair of units, the 13:47 Salisbury – Waterloo was always a busy train when it was a single unit)
Basingstoke -> Clapham Junction: 444006 & 444036 (services from Grateley don’t call at Clapham, my fingers were crossed as it was held up due to earlier congestion)
Clapham Junction -> Waterloo: 455847 & 455729
Waterloo -> Wimbledon: 455729 & 455847 (got delayed around 10 minutes due to the preceding Guildford train breaking down, thankfully I had a reasonable connection at Wimbledon)
Wimbledon -> Vauxhall: 455734 & 455867
Vauxhall -> Surbiton: 456005, 455868 & 455866
Surbiton -> Clapham Junction: 450115 & 450036 (The AC felt lovely)
Clapham Junction -> Waterloo: 455725, 455871 & 456002
Waterloo -> Wimbledon: 456002, 455871 & 455725
Wimbledon -> Surbiton: 455730 & 455910 (I do like a good non-stop run between these two stations)
Surbiton -> Clapham Junction: 456016, 455704  & 455702 (last 456 for 10 miles, but one slow trip due to congestion)
Clapham Junction -> New Malden: 707030 & 707002 (mainly for a platform score, plus to visit the Tesco express outside the station for dinner)
New Malden -> Clapham Junction: 455863, 455919 & 456008 (after a walk over to the Windsor lines side for what I through was a low mileage 707 turned out to be incorrect)
Clapham Junction -> Vauxhall: 455742, 455869 & 456024

It was time to leave the little red devils behind and head underground where 11069/11070 took me to Kings Cross St Pancras, where I made the most of the time to pick up my rover for the morning, before boarding a busy 180111 for the trip to Hull.  It emptied out along the way so after Selby I had a private table for the last section, where it caught up with a late running service from Sheffield so arrival into Hull was around 10 minutes late.

Less than 5 minutes later I was checking into the hotel, for what started with a reasonable night (all be the duvet was extra thick which meant taking it out of the case to sleep underneath the empty case due to the warmth) until around 1am when a group returned from a night out and decided to carry on being noisy, arguing with a girl in the group saying that she slept around etc.  Eventually after the 3rd visit from the member of staff on reception they decided to leave (as the police were on their way), so peace was restored for the last couple hours, but the damage had been done.

Anyhow, a pointless pair of passenger information displays, at least these days they are turned off rather than saying “welcome to New Malden”, a successful evening in London, only one more SWR 455 for mileage requirements, which hopefully should be easy to get in the future.  Plus a spooky looking empty (ish) Clapham yard, which is kinda spooky.



------------

13th July (East Yorkshire)

After checking out of the hotel, my first move of the day was to a 24 hour Tesco next to the station for breakfast (and lunch for later on) before heading to the 06:45 Doncaster stopping service which was formed of 142032.  The guard was on board testing the doors, however there was an issue with one set of the doors, and after departure time came and went the service was deemed a failure.  Needless to say this threw my plans up in the air as I headed over to board 158782 working a York stopping service, coming up with an alternative plan which meant ditching a jolly to score platform 2 at York.

Anyhow back on this 158, first time (excluding a Meadowhall leap) on a refurbished 158 which has had the new seating fitted, quite reasonable (better than some of the collapsed seats found in other examples of the Northern 158 fleet), and quite empty for the all station service (yes even Broomfleet!).  I made sure I was at the rear of the train* as I alighted at Eastrington, causing a shock from the guard as “nobody ever gets on/off here” [and with a limited service who can blame them].  (* there is always a small risk that with some of these lighter used stations, the guard not doing a full release of the doors).  The reason for wanting to stay overnight in Hull was due to this station, as this is the only time of day where two services call within half an hour of each other, and hence avoiding the need to walk to Gilberdyke.



I was shocked as a regular passenger joined me in the waiting shelter as my first 155 for over 2 years rolled in, which 155345 for the short leap to Gilberdyke, where I had roughly 20 minutes before 170475 huffed and puffed its way into the station from Sheffield.  Gilberdyke is one of those stations along this line where the platforms were extended outwards when the track was reduced from 4 to 2, with evidence of the former platforms at the Selby ends, just a random bit of history and the reason for the long footbridge.  Anyhow the 170 took me the 12 miles back towards Hull where I could recover Hessle which was missed this morning, and this is where I had a bright idea, and a quick play on RTT saw it was possible, as 142093 took me to Brough.  A few minutes later 155345 returned from Hull to take me to Selby (and into the ten mile club), where I had a short fester before 155343 rolled in from York to take me back towards Howden, more of a time wasting move, but in a way I’m glad I did as 158782 was on the next York service, and it was rammed (York races was on).

The Hull – York services are a bit strange, there are a few which go direct from Selby towards York via the ECML (rather than going via Sherburn), this was one of those services which allowed me to microgrice the connection between Hambleton East & North heading towards York, as I’ve only ever done it towards Selby.  The speed on the ECML was nice on an overcrowded 158 with failed AC, but I was glad when it rolled into platform 1 at York allowing everybody off.  Due to the York races there was a revenue block and a one-way system in place, but I didn’t get caught up with that as I headed towards a Scarborough bound TPE service.   During high summer, there are some additional York – Scarborough services using a spare 185, probably to help with the loadings of the hourly service, these services use the rarely used platform 2 (also known as the Scarborough bay).  From December if Northern introduce their hourly York – Scarborough services, I suspect they will use the bay, but for now, it’s a rare bay score!



I took a seat on a lightly loaded 185114 on a Scarborough shuttle (the unit returns to York where it sits in the bay until 5pm before doing another couple shuttles), forgetting how slow this line is for 185s, and I had lunch before alighting at Seamer, crossing over to the other side of the island for 158793 to roll in from Scarborough to take me to Bridlington, mix between a time wasting move and as a platform score.  158795 was up next to take me back the 10 or so miles to Hunmanby where I had a 12 minute connection for 158850 to take me back to Hull.  The time wasting move to Bridlington was due to the hourly services passing at Filey so this is a station easier to visit from the south.

Back at Hull, the next Sheffield stopper wasn’t anything of interest so I popped out to do a bit of light shopping before returning for the next York train, which was 155346, I had to check my pictures from earlier in the day, but yes 346 had swapped with 345 the last time it was in Hull (and was sitting on another platform), happy days for me as it was another low mileage 155 as I took it for the run towards Sherburn-in-Elmet as a bonus station score.  With an hour to kill, I headed towards the village centre for some supplies for dinner, noting there were no signs from the village centre pointing towards the station; it was hidden away down an old dead end road [next to a pub].  Evidence of a former road level crossing [I guess replaced by a road bridge and looking at a map I guess at some point in the past the A162 had a bypass built cutting Moor Lane in two].  It might be worth noting for anybody wanting to visit the station with a tight connection is the tiny level crossing barriers for the foot crossing remained down in the short time a York bound service arrived and departed and 155346 returning, so it isn’t worth the risk.



Back on the 155 (my mileage for this class has doubled!) for the run towards Selby and to my final station of the day at Wressle, another limited served station and I was the only passenger alighting, and felt like the only living being around for the 30 minutes before 150126 appeared (with a shocked driver that someone was boarding here) to take me back to Selby, where for a time wasting move I took 185140 for the run to Howden (for the novelty of a TPE calling here as it doesn’t happen that often), turning down the return of 155346 (and noting that 155345 which was heading to York at Sherburn had turned into 144007 as it headed back towards Hull), and waited as 180113 rolled in to take me back towards London.

My reserved seat was in coach C, which looked heavily reserved, so I simply removed the label and headed to the leading coach (coach E I think) which was unreserved and had 2 other passengers in (with another couple passengers joining the train along the way), so a nice peaceful trip to London, where it terminated into platform 11 at Kings Cross (due to major engineering works).  The 180 arrived around 5 minutes early which was nice as it gave me that little bit extra time to reach Waterloo (11003/11004 on the Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, 3260/3547 to Waterloo via the Baker’s Oven).  The last couple times I’ve done the 21:50 to Salisbury it’s been a single unit, so I was happy as it was a pair, 159001 leading 159104 for the run back home to Grateley, followed by a gentle potter home.

Overall a successful trip, what started badly turned out quite well with everything I wanted to do being done.  Down to 15 stations left to revisit, another trio of Northern stations will hopefully fall on Friday, with the remainder over the next couple weekends, bulk are on the Goole – Knottingley line, with two of the Pontefract stations as well.  An end to the Northern Empire is in sight!

I will leave you with a random platform ticket for York I found on one of the trains.



No comments:

Post a Comment