Wednesday 3 July 2019

30th June – Greater Manchester Train Ranger


30th June – Greater Manchester Train Ranger

After a semi-decent sleep (staying in city centre locations is a double edged sword, ideal for location but not for noise), I walked towards Piccadilly and purchased a Train only Ranger (having toyed with the idea of getting a Wayfarer) and whilst service levels were still a bit low I jumped onto 319446 (this 319 seems to stalk me!) on a stopping service to Heald Green, walking via the road bridge to the opposite platform for low mileage 319366 to take me back to Piccadilly, running non-stop which was a nice change from the previous service.

I hung around on the footbridge looking for potential options as the 185 rolled in from Huddersfield, and as it was low mileage 185112 it was rude to turn it down on the run to Greenfield, it was cleared by Stalybridge but considering the next train back towards either Manchester would be the same unit, I decided to stay on.  Felt strange calling at Greenfield on a 185, as the only previous times I’ve called here have been on pacers!  A short connection before 185122 took me back to Stalybridge where I decided to head towards Victoria on 150226/142029 and when on route a check of RTT highlighted better options at Salford Crescent, which is where I decided to alight from the train.  The next Southport service was a pair of 150/2s with bog-less 150209 escaping from the Blackburn line, with a 150+153 coming in from Clitheroe, before low mileage 319383 popped up from Blackpool for the short run to Manchester Victoria, where I remained on board for the fast run to Bolton.  First time for me on an EMU from Salford Crescent towards Victoria, felt strange calling at Salford Central on a Sunday as not so long ago that station was closed on Sundays (and had a more limited service Monday – Saturdays, how things change).

I crossed over to platform 1-3 at Bolton, where I had two options back towards Manchester, with a pair of 150s from Clitheroe or a 319 from Blackpool, both were required for mileage so it was to Victoria on 150276 & 150204, returning shortly afterwards to Bolton with 319380, where my luck ran out, the next couple services weren’t anything of interest with a service from Barrow being cancelled I jumped on 319368 for the run to Salford Crescent, popping outside the station (not really a lot close-by), before a busy 319376 took me to Oxford Road, as I stepped back onto 185102 for a trip to the Airport.



Nothing of much interest around the airport, so it was back towards Piccadilly on a pair of Liverpool bound 156s  (156420 & 156459), where I had a brief catch up with fellow enthusiast Jamie (trying to fight my social anxiety one small step at a time, a couple months ago I wouldn’t have had the courage).  Anyhow a brief catch-up as I picked up something to eat from Boots before taking my seat on a busy 390112 for the run to London Euston, going slowly on the Stone – Colwich line for a track inspection, which meant arrival into Euston was around 18 minutes late, which meant my highly hopeful connection at Waterloo was long gone.  51701 & 51501 on the Northern line took me to Waterloo, with 159104 working the 17:45 Salisbury Express service (calling only at Clapham to pick up, then non-stop to Andover), services I expect which might change come December when the Sunday timetable changes, but who knows, for it would be jolly nice to get an hourly Sunday service at Grateley, as I wouldn’t have needed a lift from Andover back home (currently it is 2-hourly on Sundays).

Overall a reasonable Sunday in Manchester, 5 more units over the line for mileage needs.  Next week is a quiet(ish) weekend, most likely a trip to Bournemouth on the Friday evening, with a trip to Birmingham on the Saturday and a trip to Devon on the Sunday, but nothing is booked and it could all change depending on weather and probably how I feel.

2 comments:

  1. I see that Northern line pair is still together then, I had the same pair on my last London trip a while ago!

    A rather decent little day there by the looks of it, a good bit of variety too.

    Good call on the social anxiety busting, it's not an easy thing to change but you'll get there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Northern line sets are a bit like the Victoria line sets and are semi-permanently attached to each other.

    ReplyDelete