Monday 1 July 2019

Archive - February 2019


This summary was first put on my old Rail UK thread, archive from February 2019

But February made me shiver – summary of February

The first trip was thankfully not called off due to the snow as I was staying in the Travelodge near Stonebridge Park (London Wembley I think its called) for an early start on the Saturday as a positioning move for the positioning move.  Anyhow the Friday evening was spent in London knocking some more units over the 10-mile line before retiring for the night for not the best of sleeps (next to the North Circular).  The Saturday was a 378 to Euston before a 390 on a fast run to Lancaster before boarding the BLS “Positioning Move” tour, a one-way trip to Bristol hauled by 47772 along the WCML to Stafford, heading towards Wolverhampton taking the Oxley chord towards Shrewsbury before the Abbey curve to head south towards Hereford & Bristol.

The main event was the Sunday, with the tour heading from Bristol towards Liskeard via some loops, reversing after the station with 47826 in charge for the ultra-rare connection to the Looe branch and the run up towards Moorswater, before heading to Looe for a break.  Coming back it was back out of the branch and a run to Plymouth, the stock turning around at the Laira triangle (something to do with 47826 being low on power and not wanting to risk taking it over the hills).  I left the tour here as it continued towards the South Devon Railway, for I had planned on the Friday to drive to Salisbury but the snow put that place to one side.  I got my first taste of the future with a pair of 802s on a fast to Exeter service (scoring 802022) before a single 159 took me back home to Grateley.

-----

The 8th February was another trip to London for unit hunting for mileage (hey I need something to do before all that lovely new stock starts to arrive), ending up in South Eastern land.  The Saturday was a random trip to Bristol, where I scored a pair of 802s on a Bath – Bristol leap before getting one more 166 over the 10-mile line.  The main idea was scoring the new layout around Filton, before a random trip to Pilning.

The 15th February was an overnight railtour of the Thames Valley, and once again I ended up unit hunting, grabbing a winner 802 before my final 171 for mileage (the 171s joining the 159s & 220s in my club where all the members are over 10 miles).  Various other units were scored in Southern land, before I made my way across to Paddington.  37402 was leading & 37409 was on the rear of the tour, the first destination was the soon to close Heathrow Express depot, before a trip to Hayes & Harlington reversing in the bay before heading to Brentford Goods.  Maidenhead reversing siding & carriage sidings in a zig-zag move to gain access to the Bourne End branch, before a visit to Henley and finally a visit to wake up the queen at Windsor & Eden Central.  The tour arrived back at Paddington nearly an hour early, which allowed me to grab a required 802 on a Slough leap.

The remaining of the day was spent hunting units, ending the day on a busy 159 back to Grateley where my bed was very much welcomed after a long day.

--

The 21st February I headed up to London, another 800 fell before some more Networkers fell for 10 miles, saw me ending up in Barnehurst.  Back towards the centre of London with another couple 377s falling, before 90042 continued my poor luck with Cally sleeper locos, a free upgrade to a shared berth was taken for the run to Carstairs.  90041 hauled me to Edinburgh where with knowledge that both 68s were dud, I made my slow way across to Glasgow picking up another trio of required 385s (annoying 385018 for only 3 miles).  The next few hours were spent hunting Scottish units for mileage, plus getting 320420 in my book on a Bellgrove – Dalmuir leap.  Nearly got caught up in chaos caused by a bridge strike in the Haymarket area, but it was my first Scotrail HST on the 15:50 Glasgow – Aberdeen (43012/43143) which is non-stop to Perth.  A bit slow after Perth due to signalling issues, but the main event was still to come. A 170 took me to Broughty Ferry for a 50 minute fester before a 158 took me to Barry Links, finishing the day with a walk to the hotel I selected.  Needless to say I was the only person who got off the train at the former least used station in Britain (and I didn’t see anybody boarding).

The Saturday was an early start as I walked to Golf Street for a private 158 to Balmossie, walking back to Monifieth (this would be a good walk to do during the summer time as it’s along a footpath overlooking the river mouth).  Tayside covered it was back to Glasgow on 43150/43183 for some more random unit hunting, this time focusing on Glasgow Central high level, where probably my last 314 move was had with 314216 enjoyed on the fast run to Paisley Gilmour Street, before a voyager took me to Newcastle.  When I was booking this trip I was hedging my bets if Northern were still going to be on strike, thankfully those strikes ended which allowed me to take a 156 to Pegswood, a station I was aiming for in October but got bowled out with a poorly 156.  A hellfire pizza was had from a local takeaway as I sat on a bench waiting for the 156 to return.

The Sunday was a BLS tour on the Tyne & Wear Metro, the main draw for me was the depot avoiding line (plus the disused bay platform at North Shields).  4030/4085 was on the tour as it did various bits of the network (Pelaw reversing sidings, the siding near North Shields, the disused bay platform, some more of the sidings next to the ECML).  The Manors curve was covered towards West Jesmond, before the depot avoiding curve.  This time I aimed for the sideways seats near the centre of the train, just for the extra legroom.  After the tour I was shocked when a Hartlepool service was a 156+158 (was expecting a pair of 142s), nothing else of interest popped up other than a pair of required metrocars for mileage.

The Monday was an early start with the 05:25(ish) LNER service to Darlington, followed by a 185 to Middlesbrough (for the novelty of a 185 via Dinsdale), with a 156 to Saltburn, followed by a 142 to British Steel Redcar for a half-hour fester for a 142 back to Saltburn.  A trip to Redcar East followed by a low mileage 142 back to Saltburn with a walk towards the pier, before returning with another 142 to Middlesbrough with a 156 to Egton, returning to Battersby for a short fester for the Danby Express for a private 142 on a fast to Danby.  Back at Middlesbrough I had time for one more trip to Saltburn returning to Eaglescliffe for 180106 to Kings Cross, where it arrived 6 or so minutes early (I think a 387 was delayed from Cambridge and the 180 got put in front of it at Hitchin).  I took a Victoria line service to Vauxhall, with a low mileage 707 to Clapham Junction which was in chaos due to a failed train.  I got a low mileage 450 to Woking followed by a triple Sprinter to Grateley arriving just over an hour late.

So that was February, better weather than expected, so some random numbers:
3887 miles covered
9 stations revisited
1 new loco (47)
10 new units (1x 320, 3x 385, 1x 800, 5x 802)

No comments:

Post a Comment