Tuesday 9 July 2019

7th July – A Devon Circular Trip


7th July – A Devon Circular Trip

I can’t remember where I saw the news that a Sunday Dartmoor bus has been re-introduced to allow folk to do a circular trip in Devon (with a slight detour into Cornwall), but I looked up the route the bus takes and it looked interesting, so I decided to give it a go (beats hanging around at home which is what I’ve been doing on some Sundays recently, when I’ve returned home on the Saturday).

A gentle walk to the station to pick up the tickets, and on the 08:35 (ish) service to Exeter St Davids, formed of 159008 & 159005 (which is an improvement as this service always used to be a single unit which got busy closer to Exeter), I took up a seat in the leading coach of 008 and settled down for the long trip out west, enjoying the scenery (this might be a local line, but I haven’t been this way for a while).  I confused the Basingstoke based guard in requesting a Devon Ranger, but after the guards changed at Salisbury the new guard had no issues in issuing the ranger, which saved time at Exeter Central where I popped out of the station to the nearby Co-Op for bits for lunch.

Returning to Exeter Central, it was a short wait for 150244 to roll in from St James Park on the 2nd Okehampton service of the day.  An enjoyable run (where I made use of the USB sockets for a quick charge for my phone & tablet), maybe one of these days the planned use at weekdays might happen, a few brushes with bushes along the section of line from Crediton towards the disused platform at Yeoford & the former station of Bow.  Arrival into Okehampton was pretty much bang on time allowing for some pictures to be taken as a shunter arrived from the end of the line.



The 150 departed back towards Exeter, as I made my way to join the queue for the route 279 bus, operated by Plymouth Citylink (bus fleet number 65), handed over my £3 for a single to Gunnislake, and opened the windows as it was quite warm inside.  It was a good trip towards Tavistock, swinging via some little villages (and meeting a tractor), and some good views from the windows of the countryside.  A quick break in the Tavistock bus station before the bus continued to reach Gunnislake, climbing the hill to reach the station.



A short break, before 150239 arrived from Plymouth to take a few passengers back into Devon, over the Calstock viaduct and alongside the Tamar, this is another nice line for looking out the window.  I decided to request a stop at Dockyard, mainly as a random platform score, but mainly to waste time (due to the 2 hourly service at Grateley on Sundays).  It was an interesting walk towards Plymouth station, passing both terrace housing and a short area of more posher looking larger houses before the terrace housing resumed, but I was soon at Plymouth station with a couple options to take me back towards Exeter to complete the circle.

The first was a Castle-HST set, but as that came from Penzance it looked slightly busy, so with the arrival of another Plymouth starter (802106 I think), I jumped onto 802114 for the run towards Exeter St Davids, riding the coast at Dawlish (it’s on my wish-list one of these days to walk from Dawlish Warren to Dawlish).  At St Davids I was shocked to notice that the WH Smiths only charged £4 for a meal deal (as I had that pictured as being one of the stores which charges £5 as there isn’t a lot of competition around the station).  My final leg was in the hands of 159101 & 159003 for the run back to Grateley, the train only getting busy at Salisbury.  Once back at the station I walked home, picking up some more litter along the way home, every little helps keeping the village clean as some might say.



Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment