Tuesday 2 July 2019

28 – 30th June – Return of the Red Rose (and Introduction)


28 – 30th June – Return of the Red Rose (and Introduction)

The background of this trip was to revisit some of the stations I visited back in July 2015 when I had my little pushbike to ride between nearby stations, the original date for this trip was last year but it got pushed back to this year due to the Saturday strikes on Northern at the time, and was a case of waiting to see when the Premier Inn at Wigan had reasonable priced rooms for the Friday night as some weeks I checked for research it was £50+.  Originally I was going to head back to London on the Saturday but decided to book a room in Manchester on the Saturday evening and go back to London on the Sunday, the idea for the Sunday was to either hunt units down for mileage needs or do some random platform scores.

(A little background, as this is being posted to a new blog, over the course of the last few years I’ve ridden on pretty much every unit built before 2018 which is still in service, however a good handful of those units were on short little hops, for example Manchester Piccadilly – Oxford Road, and before the new units start to arrive I’ve been trying to go back to get more of those units above 10 miles.  Random platform scores is just something random I’ve started doing, basically stations where my previous visit(s) have all used the same platform, for example doing linear hops on some of the London commuter lines which are outside rover areas, i.e. Hastings line, Southend Victoria line, a lot on C2C).

I previously completed the “visiting every station to board or alight from a train” challenge back in October 2017 and got bored last year and  came up with a list of stations where I wanted to revisit to get the harder challenge of “Visiting every station to board and alight from a train”.  I say challenge, but it’s more to beat boredom as I’m someone who gets bored sitting around at home, and likes to travel to see the countryside and other places.  Over the course of the last 15 months I’ve got the number down to 30, mostly on Northern but with 5 for Transport for Wales (all on the Conwy Valley) and 2 for Scotland (both on the Kyle line, bit of a long story).  Over the course of the next few months I will repost previous reports of trips on this blog as I’ve decided to move away from the forum they were being posted before due to various reasons.

I know it might not be the most popular blog, but writing about my trips makes me feel better inside my head, anyhow without any further delay onto Friday.

28th June – Onwards to Wigan

The weather was a bit too hot to do my usual Friday evening unit hunting within London and as I had some personal business to attend to with a branch of my bank I decided to go via Reading and enjoy the sunshine doing linear hops on the way towards Waterloo via Ascot, mainly random platform scores as a few of these stations I did linearly using the peak time additional services.  I managed to finish work earlier than expected so I was in a position to get a lift to Grateley station for the 13:59 service, which was a busy 159008 for the trip to Basingstoke (which allowed 159008 to overtake 159004 for the title of “most travelled 159” by a single mile).  At Basingstoke I popped outside the station to purchase my rover for the Saturday using some vouchers (which were originally meant to be used for my Scottish trip a couple weeks ago but things happened), saved a job for later and only cost me a few minutes as 221122 rolled in to take me one stop to Reading (felt like the engine underneath coach B was broken as it was a bit too quiet in there).

Once at Reading, I popped out of the station to visit the bank to pay in a couple of cheques, before returning to the station for my first linear hop with a pair of 455s to Winnersh, 455721 & 455704.  Not the most comfortable of services due to the heat (the units sit at Reading for roughly half an hour, all that time taking in the heat), so it was nice to sit on the platform for half an hour before 450570 & 450562 rolled in to take me to Martins Heron, where after a picture of the nice wooden footbridge, it was a quick visit to the nearby Tesco for a small supply raid for the Saturday, before returning to the station with 458517 & 458530 taken to Sunningdale, which completes the line for random platform scores, as I sat in the sunshine watching the world go by before low mileage 458512 rolled in along with 458519, the run to Egham being enough to push it over 10 miles, where I noticed the new gatelines are getting installed (probably get a few of what I like to call “pay when challenged”, the folk who like to play the system and will only pay for a fare if they are challenged when travelling between two unbarriered stations, playing the numbers game of the number of times they are likely to be caught out by a commercial guard or a revenue protection block isn’t high enough.  Anyhow less about fare dodgers and how they cost the industry money).



I knew another low mileage 458 was due to follow in the next 30 minutes, having seen it heading towards Reading earlier, what I didn’t know was the identity of the next service, so I was happy when ultra low mileage 458514 rolled in along with 458531, it was onwards to Twickenham which pushes 458514 over the 10 mile line.  The next stopper wasn’t of interest, so it was a short wait for the next semi-fast from Windsor which I had to catch to intercept that other 458 (which goes semi-fast via the Hounslow loop), so I was surprised when it was 455905 & 455702, quite busy as well for the short run to Putney where I walked over to the other Waterloo bound platform for a low mileage 707027 to roll in from Weybridge, the run to Clapham Junction wouldn’t be enough to push it over the 10 miles, but every little helps.

Once at Clapham Junction, it was a short walk across from platform 3 to platform 4 for low mileage 458533 & 458505 to take me the last few miles into Waterloo, arriving a few minutes early (seems this service is timed to take 15 minutes from Clapham to Waterloo, and that is nonstop).  At Waterloo I headed to the Tesco Express on Waterloo Road for something to eat for dinner (I’ve been caught out too many times by the Sainsburys at Euston being bare boned, and with Boots gone WH Smiths charges £4.99 for a meal deal).  Once selected I headed to the Jubilee line with 96126 & 96009 to Baker Street (96009 being one of the few 96 stocks under a mile), a short walk to the Met line platforms for 21087/21088 to Euston Square (another sub-mile S8 unit), at Euston Square I had a short walk towards Euston (noticing that the Sainsburys was better than usual in terms of stock of the meal-deal sandwiches, I still miss the days where the Sainsburys meal deal had a lot more options).

The West Coast Main Line had been suffering from various issues throughout the day, the Pendo to form the 20:30 to Preston was late arriving, so boarding didn’t start until around 20:20 as I climbed onto 390154, my usual seat in coach E with nice shoulder room due to the lack of a window pillar, and the service was a bit late in departing (6 minutes or so in the end).  The time was almost made up by Warrington, but the service spent around 10 minutes around the Acton Grange junction area as a freight service was in front.  Still unusual for me to call at Tamworth & Lichfield on a 390!  Arrival into Wigan North Western was around 15 minutes late, but for me nothing major as I had a short walk to the Premier Inn, somewhere I’ve stayed a few times when in Wigan on a Friday night, walking down a street with many nightclubs with bouncers outside and in some cases pretty girls trying to encourage passersby to visit with money off vouchers.

Once into the room, it was a quick sort out of the bag, a shower and a decent enough sleep, no fire alarms this time round (or loud banging as “Greg’s friend” comes back at 2am in the morning and has forgotten which room he is in, like what happened a few years ago and was shouting out for ‘Greg’ to let in him.


No comments:

Post a Comment